What's so special about St Peter's?
- The first St Peter’s Church was erected on this site in 1272.
- The tower is 83 feet tall and dates from 13c; it houses eight bells, six were originally cast by Pennington Bros of Cornwall in 1777, one of these was recast by Gillett & Johnson in 1928 and two new bells cast by Whitechapel Bell Foundry, were added in 2016.
- The present clock was manufactured in 1878.
- The Church was completely restored in 1871.
- The pulpit was carved by 17 year old Violet Pinwell in 1891 and depicts no fewer than 60 animals!
- The organ pipes were hand painted in 1874 by Miss Edith Wyllys, an artist then aged 22 and living in Stoke Fleming.
- On the 17c brass of Elias Newcomen is a 17century pun saying that Elias is ‘New-come-in to heaven’s habitation’!
- The brasses on the floor of the nave date from 1391.
- The Norman Font still shows the marks of a hinge and bolt for locking, as specified when it was ordered in 1236.
- The War Memorial is a 14c wayside cross which was used as a gatepost until being restored and adapted in 1919.
For more details see the British Listed Buildings website